Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Definitions

Today someone described me as
"the beguiling Miss Rene"!!!
Doesn't that sound just fabulous???
Beguiling.

Of course
I had to look up the definition.
I thought about it and couldn't be certain
not 100%
what it meant...

Imagine my *um* interest
when I saw this on the Webster site:

Main Entry: be·guile
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): be·guiled; be·guil·ing
transitive verb
1 : to lead by deception
2 : HOODWINK
3 : to while away especially by some agreeable occupation; also : DIVERT 2
4 : to engage the interest of by or as if by guile
intransitive verb : to deceive by wiles
synonym see DECEIVE

Oh my... Deception? Hoodwink?? Divert?

Mind you, the person who used this word
and I
have never met...
But I know enough to know that
(a) I am none of the above
(b) He wouldn't say such a thing
(c) there MUST be more to the word than that!!!

So, I did your basic Google search.
I was directed to a site called The Free Dictionary
where the definitions were these:

be·guile(b-gl)
tr.v. be·guiled, be·guil·ing, be·guiles
1. To deceive by guile; delude. See Synonyms at deceive.
2. To take away from by or as if by guile; cheat: a disease that has beguiled me of strength.
3. To distract the attention of; divert: "to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming" Abraham Lincoln.
4. To pass (time) pleasantly.
5. To amuse or charm; delight. See Synonyms at charm.

Ahhh... Much better!!!
Amusing, charming, delightful.
These are words I like!

4 Comments:

At 4/01/2007 11:10 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with the second definition - charming for sure!

 
At 4/03/2007 12:20 AM , Blogger Cheryl Wray said...

I totally thought of the second defisnition as soon as you said the word "beguiling." I think of it more as mysterious and alluring!!!

 
At 4/10/2007 11:12 PM , Blogger ~ Jocelyn Wilhelm ~ said...

ROTF LMAO!!! So it's the 5th definition! Ok, whatever! Who said this to you? Your English professor?! :)

 
At 4/11/2007 5:29 PM , Blogger ~ Jocelyn Wilhelm ~ said...

You've been tagged! Make sure to visit my blog and play along!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home