Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Dirty, Filthy Love

hee hee!

got you, didn't I???

It's actually the title of a movie. Not an X-rated one, either. Although, I'm guessing there's probably an adult movie out there with the same title.

However, the movie I'm about to tell you about is NOT of that genre. It's about people with OCD (Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder). To an extreme. I know several people who have small OC Quirks. I have a few of my own!!! Anyway, I think this is a great movie. It's funny, and very touching. I saw it tonight for the second time and I laughed just as much and almost as hard as the first time I saw it. The first time, I was laughing so hard I couldn't stop crying... This time it was just as funny, but I didn't laugh quite so hard. Near the end it gets pretty rough, at least for me. I feel so much for these people and their disorder. The things they go through.

It reminds me of the past year when I would see a homeless person. I remember that I used to (SEVERAL years back) always think how horrible it was that these people let themselves get to that point. That you could always get a job at McDonalds. Then a few years ago I softened and realized that no, you can't always get a job at McDonalds. First, you have to have an address. And a place to take a bath, and somewhere to wash your clothes. It's a lot more than just not wanting to work. Not to mention, many of the people who are on the streets are victims of some form of mental illness. They need medication. Without a job, without insurance, they can't get the medications they need.

So, in the past year or so, I really began to see how close each and every one of us is to being that person. It wouldn't take much to put many of us in that situation. Granted, there is a line you have to cross where you feel like you just can't deal any more. I was lucky enough to have several friends who were willing to let me stay with them. But you know what? It's HARD to ask for help. It really is.

I'm not sure why I'm blogging this. I guess it's just that I have a huge soft spot for people who hit bottom. And I'm asking that, if you read this, the next time you see someone who is homeless and desolate, please don't just assume they just don't have the "get up and go" to make things work. Because there is truly a point where you consider spending your last $20 on alcohol and sitting on a bench in a beautiful park. Give those people a smile. And say a little prayer for them. Because someone you know could be in that position sometime. xo

1 Comments:

At 8/30/2006 2:16 PM , Blogger ~ Jocelyn Wilhelm ~ said...

Did you see TE today?

Some people make things happen, some watch things happen, while others wonder what has happened.

I've always liked that proverb.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home