Thursday, August 31, 2006

Freaky Foods!

Today's STM blog challenge is to list food combinations that you love but others might find nauseating. At first I kept thinking "I don't eat any weird combinations", but then I realized that's because I don't think they're weird. Doesn't mean others wouldn't! I read a few other blog challenge submissions for inspiration and there it came! (Thanks Elizabeth!!!)

Grilled cheese with dill pickle slices.
This seems so normal to me. But I remember telling a friend about it once and getting the strangest look! You make a grilled cheese, like normal. When it's done and the cheese is still all melty and soft, gently peel the bread slices open and insert crisp, cold dill pickle slices. Put the bread back together immediately. The cheese will melt back together. As you eat the sandwich, you get the occasional bites of tangy dill pickle. It's phenomenal!!!

Now the rest of this post isn't about my own freaky food fascinations, but my mom's. These freak me out!!! My mom grew up in a family of 6 children with a very limited income. They really learned to stretch things when it came to food. To this day, my mom will occasionally eat some pretty strange things. It CAN'T taste good. I think it just evokes a warm fuzzy for her, you know? They couldn't afford cereal for breakfast, so they made to with yesterday's cornbread, or even saltine crackers. I've seen my mom so many times crumble up either leftover cornbread (which is not at all the sweetened kind) or crush up saltine crackers, and pour milk over that and chow down. Ugh.

Ooooo! Just thought of something else I love that seems normal to me, but perhaps not every would agree? I love dipping bacon or sausage into syrup.

What about this? Mix egg salad with shredded cheese. Spread a decent layer onto a slice of bread (I like to lightly toast my bread first for a little extra crunch) and put it under the broiler until the cheese melts, the egg salad warms, and the top gets a touch of golden brown. mmmmmm! Now that's a comfort food for me....

4 Comments:

At 8/31/2006 11:17 AM , Blogger Chelsea said...

if you ask me, ANYTHING is good with pickles! I heart pickles--that's the only thing I NEED to have at the state fair is pickle on a stick!

 
At 8/31/2006 11:44 AM , Blogger Elizabeth said...

I agree, anything with pickels rocks, but grilled cheese is my ALL time favorite! I am going to try this one!!!

 
At 8/31/2006 12:11 PM , Blogger ~ Jocelyn Wilhelm ~ said...

Yep! LOVE pickles too - so this is a must try after Elizabeth's GC sandwich with ketchup! Hey, I bet all three will taste just mighty fine!

I dip my breakfast meats with syrup too. Yum!

 
At 8/31/2006 11:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love grilled cheese with pickles. I used to order grilled cheese with a bowl of pickles when I was little at a little diner we went to.

the egg salad warmed up kinda grosses me out though. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home